Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:50:13 -0500
From:      "Matthew Jonkman" <jonkman@bussert.com>
To:        <cjclark@home.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Routed and public IPs

I like the idea of having the firewall act as a bridge and a nat device. I
had tried to implement this by aliasing the internal nic with a private and
a valid public IP. I made the internal public IP'd machines use that public
internal IP as their gateway but no luck. I believe the theory is correct
from what you mentioned, just my implementation on the firewall must be
lacking. Its running nat, routed, and is an OPEN firewall. Still no luck.
The unregistered IP'd machines run as expected but I can't make the public
IP'd machines visible outside.

Can you help? Am I an idiot or something? This seems simple. Don;t answer
that last question. I know the answer.

Thanks.

BTW, the geeks shall inherit the earth.