Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 14:46:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   keyboard `click' driver simulation for laptops, anyone??

   Does anybody know if any of the BSD's (or FreeBSD 3.X) supports
   the keyboard-click emulation in the latest keyboard drivers?

   Several (4? 5?) years ago I threatened to write one because I
   have trouble typing without the tactile|auditory feedback.
   On a regular keyboard I buy the kind that click; or at work
   use Sun's click -y command.

   The world-renouned Assitistive Technology Clinic here in Seattle
   (U of W) recently threw me to the wolves once they learned that
   in addition to requiring keyboard-to-speech software on a
   laptop, I wanted the click-style keyboard.  --Actually, this is
   a requirement rather than a want.

   The speech pathologist said sorry; but here is a list of vendors
   that you can check out.  I was slightly surprised given the
   Clinic's reputation for doing the impossible; but then again, I
   don't fit their mold and my open-source bias certainly counted
   against me.

   Nutshell: if we don't have it, I'll have to hack the driver.  I've
   always taken as much responsibility for my needs as I humanly can,
   and it's going to make major headlines when I've got my very own
   FreeBSD laptop assisting my verbal communication.

   thanks for any clues re the driver status,

   gary