Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 11:07:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      dave adkins <adkin003@gold.tc.umn.edu>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interrupt latency and silo overflows in SMP since 970729

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Steve Passe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Have there been any changes since 970729 that could have increased
> > interrupt latencies significantly in the SMP kernel? I'm used to a few
> > silo overflows now and then but kernels after 970729 have seem to have
> > increased their frequency by about a factor of ten.
>
> undef PEND_INTS in i386/include/smptests.h and let me know how it affects
> things.
>
> --
> Steve Passe	| powered by
> smp@csn.net	|            Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD

steve,

It was the first thing I tried. Sorry I didn't mention it in the original
post. I also disabled your profiling in mplock.s with no significant
effect (as expected). To quantify the phenomenon, with 970729 kernel I see
about 5 to 10 silo overflows per hour of connection. With 970731 kernel I
see about 100 to 150 per hour and often drop ftp and cvsup with timeouts.
The system boots on IDE but /usr and the rest are mounted on NCR SCSI so
about the only IDE activity is in /bin, /etc, and /var.

MotherBoard: tyan S1653D 2x200
Bios:        award 4.01
Drives:      ide, NCR scsi

dave