Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 21:17:01 +0200
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@ida.interface-business.de>
To:        Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikkot@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun AXi boot success

As Mikko Tyolajarvi wrote:

> Google -> "SparcEngine AXi OEM Technical Manual".  First hit is:
> <http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/nep/docs/>.

Yep, i known one can get it online.  It's only that i once printed
it, but probably aren't going to reprint those n-hundred pages again
without making a reasonable attempt to dig up the old copy here first.
;-)

> Mine is 440MHz. Actually, I have two, but I fried the on-board scsi on
> the slower (360MHz) one, so now it is a door stop (with 512M memory).
> I don't suppose anybody has a sparc bootable (openfirware) scsi card
> laying around?

Do you really need it?  I haven't yet tried with the AXi, but with
other Suns, and always found that the treat that you need a Sun-
approved SCSI card is just marketing hype.  Openboot can handle the
Symbios Logic controllers pretty well by itself.  (Maybe the AXi
would need an Openboot upgrade first, which will become really
hard if you don't have a running disk attached to it...)  I've been
testing this both ways, by plugging a 53c875-based PC-`junkware'
card into some Sun, as well by testing a Sun-shipped one (with
the Openboot extension PROM) into a PC.  In the latter case, obviously
the PC still had the old SDMS BIOS extension, thus could even use that
card as a (fairly expensive :) boot controller.  Using the Tekram
controller in the Sun worked fine though, too.  (I forgot which Sun
it was, but it should work for all the newer ones.  IIRC mine was
an Ultra 5 or 10.)

I guess matters are different for an Adaptec-based SCSI controller
though.

Then, there's of course also the option to replace the chip on the AXi
board, but that's a bit more risky.  You need a bit of experience in
soldering that large QFP chips.  Basically, it works best using a
heat gun from the hardware (the `true' hardware, i mean :) shop,
something you would normally use to burn off old paint.  But you
gotta be careful to not burn your PCB with it, and to minimize the
heat-generated mechanical stress.  Anyway, i once successfully
resoldered an old IBM 220's PCB using this method where the board
had become flakey.

If you plan doing this, just get an old PC mainboard somewhere, and
practice a little unsoldering and resoldering the various chips on
it. ;-)  Btw., replacing BGA chips is quite more adventurous, but
people managed to do even this using hobbyist methods.

--
J"org Wunsch					       Unix support engineer
joerg_wunsch@interface-systems.de        http://www.interface-systems.de/~j/