Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 20:03:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using SGML

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> Thanks, that helps!  I wish the Davenport guide were a single
> document....

I believe the Davenport guides are available as tar files
somewhere on O'Reilly's FTP server....

> > Something you won't find in any documentation is that both
> > sgmlfmt and my jade stylesheets for docbook handle some special
> > cases of the <emphasis> element:
>
> >  <emphasis role="bf">bold</emphasis>
> >  <emphasis role="it">italic</emphasis>
> >  <emphasis role="tt">typewriter</emphasis>
>
> Exactly what I was looking for!

-->> Oops, the attribute name should be REMAP, not ROLE.  Sorry!

> It seems that sometimes a generic closing tag--</>--is acceptable,
> for example after <title>, and other times it's not, e.g.,

Tag omission sometimes causes confusion (not to mention
complicating parsing, which is why you cannot omit and minimize
tags in XML). If the presence of an element in a particular place
can be unambiguously inferred from context, the DTD author can
permit the start and/or the end tags to be omitted.  Omitting the
tags does not omit the element though!  For example, this:

 <foo>text</foo>

could actually be seen by the parser as:

if the <bar> element were manditory as the first element within
<foo>.  But, the minimized form of the close tag, </>, closes the
*current* element, so in:

 <foo>text</>

the </> actually matches the omitted <bar> and the <foo> element
is missing a close tag.

I'm a bit puzzled about getting errors from the <emphasis>
element though...you might run your file through sgmlnorm (part
of the jade and sp ports) which inserts all omitted tags and
changes minimized tags (<foo/blah/, <abc>xyz</>) to their
un-minimized forms.  That will reveal what the parser REALLY
sees.  :)

-john