Date:      Mon, 04 Oct 1999 15:22:18 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Dan Mahoney <dmahoney@pe.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Top" shows large amount of "inact" RAM

Dan Mahoney wrote:

> I have been watching the output of "top" on
> my FreeBSD 3.2 system, and I was wondering
> if anyone could help me undestand a little
> better?
>
> 'top" currently shows 318 M active, 113 inactive,
> 51 M wired, 13M cache, 8341 K buff, 2744K free
> (this is on a dual-CPU system with 512 MB
> phyiscal RAM). I also see 668K out of 512 M
> of swap in use. Here's my confusion:
> shouldn't the inactive RAM be getting cleared
> out and reused, instead of starting to hit the
> swap space? Or is my understanding of the
> process unclear?

	Here's how I believe this works :  The swap was probably used at one
point where the system was actually under enough use it need to start
swapping a little.  That little bit is still in use because it's easier
to have it in swap than having to go through the work of cleaning those
pages, especially if that data may be needed again, and if there's no
big push on the swap space anyway ( ie: not close to using all of it ).
Same idea with the physical memory, it's cheaper to keep the dirty pages
in memory until demand for physical memory grows and which time the
dirty pages are cleared and whatever needs the memory now gets it.  This
is especially true if the data in those pages gets called again.

	I hope that makes sense, sometimes I have it clear in my head but it
doesn't come out that way :-)

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu