Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 14:10:59 -0700
From:      Steven Wallace <swallace@eng.uci.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM

> I ONLY have an IDE CDROM drive and that is it.  No other IDE drives.
> So the IDE CDROM is configured to be the master.  Maybe that is the reason?

Okay, I figured out a round-about way to compile the kernel and get
the driver to work only with an IDE cdrom as master.  Do the following
steps:

Add to config:

options         ATAPI                   #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM

Do NOT add any disk wd0 or wd1 to the config.
config <name>
cd /sys/compile/<name>
edit the Makefile and add to the ned of the OBJS wd.o and atapi.o
edit wd.h to look like:
#define NWDC 1
#define NWD 1

and compile the kernel.  On probe I get:

wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (atapi): <XF00D1 E>, removable, intr
atapi0.0: controller not ready

Even though it says "controller not ready" it seems to work fine.
Make sure you get the new MAKEDEV and MAKEDEV wcd0

Steven