Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:09:02 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        netch@lucky.net
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] naming of tty devices.

In message <20040920112733.GE84228@lucky.net>, Valentin Nechayev writes:
> Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:38:45, phk wrote about "[HEADSUP] naming of tty devices.":
>
>> My suggestion is the following:
>
>> 	All drivers will offer "tty${something}" devices, and
>> 	generally ${something} will consist of a letter followed
>> 	by a number, possibly in base 36 ([0-9a-z]).
>
>There are cases when cua devices are used as login devices, and too many
>places where 3 first chars of device name are removed without checking them,
>e.g. /bin/ps:

That is one of the reasons why I want consistency.

>When restoring terminal device from this name, now it is possible yet
>to determine terminal testing /dev/tty$x or /dev/cua$x; with your new
>scheme this will be impossible totally.

No, that is exactly the way it will work, and which today it doesn't.

ttyd0 and cuad0 is the same device.  The difference between "tty"
and "cua" is how we react to DCD when opening.  You can never be
logged in vial both ttyd0 and cuad0 at the same time, so there is
no logging issue.