Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 08:38:46 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ghost like programs

I'd like to know if we (FreeBSD users and fans) have a "ghost-like" program
that can dump entire slice in a single file in a smart way.

I usually use Matt Dillon's cpdup for dumping existing filesystem, but to
do it I have to prepare a disk, newfs it, mount it and so on...

Norton Ghost (which I found in a mainboard as a free addon :-) can do it
but it doesn't know anything about FreeBSD slice so the raw image it create
is usually very big.
Trying to dump an almost empty fs of about 550mb in a partition of 15gb
make me an image of many gigabyte so it is unusefull, i.e. for putting on a
cdr...

I found a program that seems to work in this way for linux, but it seems
not too much suitable for us.
The link is: http://partimage.sourceforge.net/

Any ideas ? Solutions ? Tips ?

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it