Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 2015 20:30:21 +0000
From:      Andrew Turner <andrew@fubar.geek.nz>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: interrupt framework

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 08:31:35 -0800
Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 01/15/15 05:51, Svatopluk Kraus wrote:
> > It's a controller responsibility to save an ISRC associated with
> > cells. An ISRC is transparent for any controller. However, an
> > controller can set/get its data to/from an ISRC. Further, an
> > controller should set a name to an ISRC according to internal
> > representation of associated interrupt.
>
> I'm assuming you are referring to arm_describe_irq? I had three
> comments on that:
> 1. Can you please make it part of the same API as ofw_bus_map_irq()
> rather than an out-of-band thing? This will let other platforms use
> it.

It should also not be ofw/fdt specific as it will be needed on
platforms that don't use these, e.g. I expect there to be an option on
arm64 to use ACPI so it could be possible to have a kernel without
either of these enabled.

Another problem is most drivers will already be using
resource_list_print_type so may need to be modified to replace a call
to this with a call to some new function. I have a proof of concept
patch at [1] to instead rework how resource_list_print_type works by
allowing us to change how various resource types are printed. It does
this by having a function to register a callback to print the resource
type. If no callback has been registered it will use the default.

In the short term I expect we could import the interrupt change without
changing how we print interupts. The values in dmesg may not line up
with the actual interrupt, but this shouldn't hold back testing.

Andrew

[1] https://people.freebsd.org/~andrew/rl_print_cb.diff

--
ABT Systems Ltd
Unit 11, Hove Business Centre, Fonthill Road, Hove, BN3 6HA