Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:26:27 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>
To:        Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, jlemon@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd TCP glitches in new currents

At 8:00 PM +1300 1999/12/22, Joe Abley wrote:

>  Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but I've seen more than one
>  clueful person bitten by this:
>
>    hard-wire your duplex setting on your machine and also on the switch

	If you check <http://www.backplane.com/diablo/hard.html>; and
scroll down to the "Network:" section (from the looks of things,
written sometime back in 1997 or perhaps 1998), you'll see that Matt
has been well aware of this problem for some time.

	That's not to say that he might have forgotten his own advice on
this issue, just that he is (or should be ;-) well aware of it.

	That said, I have to admit that I have yet to be bitten by this
problem, and I have not (yet) configured machines & switches at this
site to forcibly select a particular media speed and plexicity.

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>;
     <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>;

Your mouse has moved.   Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect.   Reboot now?  [ OK ]