Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 14:36:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk and partition info

> > > However, these numbers are `real', but inaccessible.  The SCSI
> > > protocol doesn't let you enter any of these numbers in a SCSI command.
> > > That's why you cannot turn off the ``translation''.
> >
> > Again, the translation I refer to is that which is done by the BIOS.
>
> Again, all SCSI BIOSes must translate, since SCSI is LBA by
> definition, while the int 0x13 interface is C/H/S by definition.
> FreeBSD does never translate, since it uses LBA as its API to the
> driver.

Again, the physical laws of the universe do not require that it be
impossible to obtain the C/H/S geometry from protected mode.  This
is prevented by SCSI controller manufacturers, not God.

As long as the translation is consistent (which it is for some
controllers), the translation can be an attribute of the controller,
and the S multiplier can be determined by asking the drive how
many different seek motor positions it has and how man heads it has,
and dividing the total number of sectors by these values and throwing
away the remainder to get the DOS geometry.

A correct controller will provide the same lies to the protected mode
question as it provides to the BIOS call question.  This is the difference
between controller hardware and controller software translation.  Disk
level translation is not detectable by software.  The other kind is
(FreeBSD is software, and it detects it by screwing up).

It is only the piece-of-crap Adaptec controllers with "advanced" setups
that vary the geometry undetectably from the controller probe.  Like
my old EISA 1742, which I can't ask which mode it is in without being
able to read (and interpret) the EISA slot configuration information.
Most SCSI controllers fit the geometry assumptions made by the slice
code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---