Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:59:45 -0400
From:      Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>
To:        matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does drm/dri currently work on PPC?

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 18:40:37 -0700
matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/22/12 10:27, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM, matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com
> > <mailto:sendtomatt@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 10/21/12 06:21, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> >     > On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 06:09:23 -0400
> >     > Michael Copeland <michael@kryptos-security.com
> >     <mailto:michael@kryptos-security.com>> wrote:
> >     >
> >     >> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 5:57 AM, matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:sendtomatt@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     >>
> >     >>> Do we have working drm/dri for radeon on PowerPC?
> >     >>>
> >     >>> I saw some old stuff that implied it, and a recent-ish PR.
> >     >>>
> >     >>> Anyone have this working? Or did it work once?
> >     >>>
> >     >>> Matt
> >     >>> _______________________________________________
> >     >>> freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org <mailto:freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
> >     mailing list
> >     >>> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ppc
> >     >>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
> >     >>> "freebsd-ppc-unsubscribe@freebsd.org
> >     >>>
> >     >> Seems fine on a mini g4 with radeon 9200.
> >     >> _______________________________________________
> >     >> freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org <mailto:freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
> >     mailing list
> >     >> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ppc
> >     >> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
> >     "freebsd-ppc-unsubscribe@freebsd.org
> >     > Haven't had any luck on a G4 tower with radeon9600, but last
> >     > I tried was over a year ago.  Best I can say is try it :)
> >     >
> >     > - Justin
> >     >
> >     Thanks, I'll give it a try (g4 mdd/radeon 9000). I might be
> > compiling for a bit, but I'll send any results.
> >
> >     Matt
> >

> > Remember, sys/modules/drm is not built by default for PowerPC, so
> > you'll have to manually build those.  I don't know what else is
> > needed.
> >
> > - Justin
>
> I am running CURRENT based on yesterday evening's CVS.
> I built the drm modules:
>  cd /usr/src/sys/modules/drm && make && make install
> This required setting NO_WERROR= and WERROR= in the makefiles for
> radeon and r128. The errors are "value computed is not used".
> The second fix required to get it to build was to make sure LINUX_DRM
> gets undefined, this may result from my build process, but the undef
> is ifdef'd for amd64.
>
> After the module is built "successfully" and installed, kldloading it
> doesn't do anything, no drm0 created.
> kldload radeon.ko creates a drm0, but Xorg immediately crashes when
>
> I assume there is some endian-unsafe stuff in radeon and drm maybe?
> My system is an AGP Radeon r200 on an MDD G4.
>
> Any ideas or anything I can do to help?
>
> Matt

You're exactly where I was when I last tried.  I didn't have the
patience to look into it.  I did read today, though, that NetBSD has
working drm on PowerPC, so you can do some diffing with that codebase,
or even try NetBSD on a spare partition to confirm.  Beyond that, some
ddb magic could help track down where the problem lies -- firewire
cable and a spare machine come in quite handy for this type of thing,
with dcons.  Even getting a backtrace would be a good start to tracking
down the bugs.

DRM is something I want to get working on PowerPC, but it's low on my
list (only so many hours in a day unfortunately), so I'm glad somebody
is looking :)

- Justin