Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:09:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

:>    Before this gets misinterpreted, the 'ticks' I am talking about is
:>    not the kernel timer interrupt ticks... it's the high resolution cpu
:>    or 825x ticks we get.  e.g. frequency dependant on the timer we use.
:
:Matt, that is the mess Linux is fighting with.  We have had a superior
:solution for years by now which even allows us to change timekeeping
:hardware on the fly as we find more suitable timebases.
:
:--
:Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20

    I don't consider our solution to be superior, I consider it to be a
    huge mess.  It's a huge hack to deal with i386-specific time counter
    issues and, frankly, it doesn't even do that good a job at it.  We've
    been plagued by backwards-time notifications and weird things happening
    for YEARS now.  It is far too sensitive to environmental conditions
    like laptops going into sleep mode and such.  One unbelievably large
    mess.

						-Matt