Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:01:24 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        "Mark A.Hummel" <mhumm2@mchsi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDM Configuration Question (Replace XDM???)

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 08:27:09AM -0500, Mark A.Hummel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been sent to, read, printed, and studied the handbook and fbsd FAQs
> about booting to XDM.  The advice to "... just read that and do what it says
> but replace xdm with kdm." doesn't work!  It's very much appreciated, but
> again, I couldn't get it to work.  All I get (with xdm) is an xterm login
> loop.
>
> My goal is to boot my system to a KDE login screen.  I understand to do that,
> I should use kdm which I've found.  When I just run kdm from the console I
> get the following error message:
>
> Cannot open access control file /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xaccess, no
> XDMCP requests will be granted.

How did you install KDE?  If you installed it from packages (or built the
port) you should have all the necessary stuff in
/usr/local/share/config/kdm.  You did install KDE2, right?

Anyway, to run kdm at boot-time, the usual way is to have a script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/kdm.sh that will be run at boot-time.  The kde port
doesn't install one; perhaps it should.  Here's mine:

----- cut here -----
#!/bin/sh
# Start/stop KDM login manager
# scott	20020101

kdm=/usr/local/bin/kdm
kdmpid=/var/run/xdm.pid

case "$1" in
start)
	if [ -f $kdmpid ]
	then
		echo "kdm already running (pid `cat $kdmpid`)?"
		echo "Maybe try '$0 stop' first"
	else
		$kdm
	fi
	;;
stop)
	if [ ! -f $kdmpid ]
	then
		echo "kdm not running!"
		echo "Maybe try '$0 start' first"
	else
		kill `cat $kdmpid`
		rm -f $kdmpid
	fi
	;;
*)
	echo "Usage: `basename $0` {start|stop}" >&2
	exit 64
	;;
esac

exit 0
----- cut here -----

Copy that to the right place, make sure it's executable, then (as root):

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/kdm.sh start

or just reboot.

Of course you *should* be able to run kdm directly as you tried to do
above, so you need to fix that problem first... maybe a re-install of KDE
is called for?

HTH,

	Scott