Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 20:46:42 +0000
From:      James Raynard <fdocs@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook in HTML and Dos format

On Wed, Nov 26, 1997 at 02:19:54PM -0800, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Tom Leung wrote:
>
> > I also downloaded the Handbook in Dos format. However, there are some
> > special characters inside. I guess that they are the formatting
> > characters in the original document that supposed to be bold or
> > underline. How can I properly format the document such that I can view
> > or print the document properly?
>
> If you have Microsoft Word or WordPerfect, you can use them to delete
> the ^H (backspace) characters that create boldface when the document
> is called to the screen under certain unix utilities (e.g., "more" and
> "less").

The simplest way to fix this is to run the ascii/latin1 output through
a couple of filters:

col -b < handbook.ascii | sed 's/$//' > FAQ.ascii.msdos

This could be run before putting the files on the FTP site, or even
added to the Makefile.

(The 'col -b' gets rid of the backspaces and the sed expression puts
a carriage return character at the end of each line so the lines break
properly under DOS.  Note that ^M signifies a CR character, NOT a caret
followed by a capital M).

--
In theory, theory is better than practice.  In practice, it isn't.
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland.   http://www.freebsd.org/~jraynard/