Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 07:29:39 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        durian@plutotech.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Special Cycles on the PCI bus

David Greenman wrote:

>    Perhaps they are caused by the inb(0x84)'s that are used as time delays in
> a couple places of the kernel. The inb(0x84) is supposed to be an unused port
> and thus should take about 1.25us to read from. This isn't always true,
> however, as people have pointed out in the past. We should probably replace
> the last few places where these are used with a calibrated wait loop.

And then the old question appears again - how to do (relatively) precise
delays in the range of 1 us ... 10 us. As far as i understood Bruce that
time, DELAY isn't able to handle this precisely. Has that changed ?

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                    Hamburg, Europe
                                              (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nstall BSD ?