Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 12:42:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>, The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux as a Mozilla total reference platform

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Closing remarks, as JKH also stated in the past we do need a marketing
> person or group -- so where are the marketing types ? Yes, I know that
> they are hiding can one or two in the marketing category please step
> forward and help our cause?
>
> 	Amancio

I'd like to volunteer in the marketing thing.  I think that we need
"Marketing Groups" headed by a "Core Marketying" person.  This is a big
planet, so I think that little groups in major cities throughout the world
that would be responsible to getting the word about about FreeBSD and it's
strength in the business world.

I remember when I was in high school, we used to do those "underground"
parties.  We'd go out and pass out flyers after school at different malls,
and schools, and on weekends we'd hit the clubs.  We were known as
"Promoters".  God, those days were so much fun.  *sigh*  Anyways....

Perhaps we can use this sort of method to promote FreeBSD. Groups of
"FreeBSD Promoters" can hit computer trade shows, computer/software
vendors, computer swapmeats and stuff like that passing out flyers, or
stickers, or cd's.  I don't know of WC already does it, but maybe produce
some give away cd's.  Inexpensive cd's witout all that facny printing work
done to it and stuff like that.  Promo-cd's.  Maybe, if it isn't expensive
we can set up a booth at these trade shows, selling books and cd's and
having a demo of FreeBSD (a working machine running FreeBSD doing real
work like CAD or something cool like that).

All this would be done by volunteers.  I know that would be hard an all to
get some people off their buns and do something, but guys think of it this
way.  It would be a great motivation thing, you'd be able to go the trade
shows to not only promote for FreeBSD, but look at the neat goodies they
have to offer as well. :)  I love going to see the new technology and
stuff like that.

Those are just some of my thoughts.  I'd be willing to do that, although I
don't want to do it alone.  Anyone wanna help?

Joey Garcia