Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 21:18:38 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Ted Stein <ted@taki.net>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are we a Political Action Committee ?

> On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 07:55:52PM -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> > My view was personal and it did not involved the group . I did CC the group
> > with the hope of inviting the State Attorney to respond not just to me
> > but to  the group and to start a discussion. My email was signed by me
> > and it did not represent the group's view that should have been
> > obvious however I accept the gross interpretation and apologies for
> > that.
> >
> > To those who really detested what I did, advocacy  is an art irrespective
> > of how it is implemented there will always be some that hate / love
> > an approach so if you are easily excitable  or offended then perhaps
> > this mailing list is not for you.
> >

> Your approach was not the approach I would have taken. In addition, a simple apology would've
> sufficed for your actions, rather than an "if you disagree maybe this isn't for you".

Obviously you pressed reply to quick and I guess that is okay for
I did not say that :

"if you disagree maybe this isn't for you".

Please point out in my e-mail where I stated the above.

> > In fairness , we are attempting to define ourselves so mistakes will
> > be made along the way and I hope that we can correct them.
> >
> > Now the hard part , it is not clear how we can shape up this group
> > to do any kind of advocacy . This is mostly due to our culture
> > kind of anarchism due to mostly non-involvement .
> >
> > Given that perhaps the advocacy mailing list should be a forum to
> > discuss ideas on how to conduct or carry out advocacy where it
> > really counts, out of this mailing list in an open forum
> >

> This list IS a forum to discuss ideas on how to carry out advocacy. However, going against
> Microsoft is not advocating FreeBSD, and attaching a carbon copy of our list does, in fact,
> implicate our (as the community) involvement in your actions. Once again, this is not the
> approach I would've taken, and an apology would suffice, as most of us disagreed with your
> actions; not so much as the idea, but the attaching it to us, and in some cases (as mine) both.

Perhaps , for this mailing list was formed for a very evident lack of
promotion of FreeBSD or any organized effort to do so and I think
the list still requires further definition .

	Amancio