Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:09:11 -0500
From:      steve.d.meacham@mail.sprint.com
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ie ethernet device driver

I have two machines which still use the ie ethernet driver.  It seems
to have been disabled, but I'm not sure why.

Can someone explain why it has been removed, or perhaps if it got
broken, if it is feasible to put it back into -STABLE?

The driver is still listed in a number of places including man, LINT,
the source, etc.  However, it is unusable because it has been removed
from isa_compat.h so it cannot be recognized by the OS.  In addition,
there is an intermittent bug (PR 16214) with the driver.  There is a
fix for both of these problems here:

http://www.jfitz.com/tips/freebsd_etherexpress16.html

It modifies the following files, which are the culprits for the current
lack of support for the ie driver:

/usr/src/sys/dev/ie/if_ie.c and
/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/isa_compat.h

The fix works great and I've had no issues with the machines running
it, even though I put a heavy load on both of them for network
services.  They shuffle mail, answer DNS queries, and provide ntp and
nfs services for months without a problem.

These machines and cards are old, granted.  But there is a certain
pride that I can take in keeping a 486DX/100 and a 386SX/16 as two of
the most stable machines in a production environment.

Regards,
Steven