Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:11:46 -0400
From:      "Stephen Conn" <ils@conn.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   EXTREAMELY SLOW OUTBOUND TRAFFIC!! (< .5kb/sec)

I have reviewed several news group responses to a problem that I am having
regarding EXTREMELY SLOW transfer rates (outbound only) from ftp and web
page
request outside my server. The outbound rates start at about 1.3kb/sec. and
steadly decrease down to .3kb/sec. I have a 28.8 modem and am running
Freebsd
2.1.7 release. Something appears to be slowing up my system that is not
presenting itself  when I run "top". No errors in "netstat -i". My packets
are
not being fragmented. PPP/MTU negotiation works perfectly fine at 1500.
Even
with my CPU at 95% idle there is something (some uknown and unidentified)
process slowing down the outbound traffic. I have tried several of the
suggested fixes with no success. This drives me absolutely crazy!!!

Can anyone help?????????

Stephen Conn  -  ils@conn.com