Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2011 05:52:06 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Carl <k0802647@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building a port with very long list of build options

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:17:31 -0700, Carl <k0802647@telus.net> wrote:
> Given that I do not want to customize the port's Makefile, I was hoping
> 'make' would support a command line option that would let me simply
> point to a separate file containing the list of variables to add, one
> per line. It's not apparent to me that that exists.

This has been possible and common in the past. For example,
the many options for the mplayer and mencoder ports could
be specified in a file, so changing of a port's file was
not needed. I'm not fully sure this option is still present,
but at least on v7 it worked.

Create a file Makefile.local in the port's directory and
specify all your options as desired. This file will be
sourced when you issue a "make" command and will override
settings of the regular Makefile (e. g. if you want
different CFLAGS for _this_ port). The file is to be in
the known syntax, NAME=value.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany