Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:29:08 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        "Dr. James R. Pannozzi D.O.M. LAc." <jimserac@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re MAN Page on Wireless Cards

Hi,

first of all, I put the proper list into the CC. This increases you chances of fast help.

On Tuesday 21 February 2012 17:09:59 Dr. James R. Pannozzi D.O.M. LAc. wrote:
> Well thanks!
> If anyone can make sense out of this here it is...
>
> Oh, I'm sending this from the same pc-bsd computer with the wireless
> problem, I just plugged in a long lan cable from the other room and
> got my lan cable connection immediately after typing
> ifconfig re0 up
> but I have to get the wireless working.
>
> Here is the output of the command:
> wpa_supplicant -dd -i wlan0 -i /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

I am a bit confused here. Let us go back to the basics

You should have something like this in your /etc/rc.conf

#
#
# Wireless Network Configuration:
#
# Configuration for LooLa, Bintan.
#
wlans_run0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="inet 192.168.1.28 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid WhaterYoursIs WPA"
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
#
Of course, you also could use DCHP.

You must also know if run is the proper driver for your card. Here is the point where dmesg comes in handy.

My wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:

network={
  ssid="WhaterYoursIs"
  scan_ssid=1
  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
  psk="a very secret password"
}

This is really all I needed.

This is from 8.2. I do not think that much has changed with 9.0 but others might will know.

> and after that I'll list the wpa_supplicant and relevant rc.conf files...
>
> Please note my wife's Windows 7 computer wirelessly connects with no
> problem so it's not a router problem (Verizon Hi Speed Intneret
> wireless modem/router D-Link)
>
> OK, here is output of the wpa_supplicant command
>
> wpa_supplicant -dd -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

When you are at this point, you should know which driver does the actual work.

> Cancelling scan request
> Cancelling authentication timeout
> wpa_driver_bsd_set_wpa_internal: wpa=2 privacy=0

This looks like that you have your driver. Can you check which one it is?

> Here is the wpa_supplicant.conf:
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
>
> network={
>  ssid="b8a386e4dc03"
>  priority=145
>  scan_ssid=1
>  psk="JD8YFPE6WBFTVSLD"
> }

Sounds reasonable. You checked the values?

> And here is the last several lines from /etc/rc.conf:
> # Run the pcbsd init service
> pcbsdinit_enable="YES"
>
> # Enable anacron
> anacron_enable="YES"
>
> # Enable fusefs
> fusefs_enable="YES"
> ntpd_enable="YES"
> ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"
> keymap="us.iso"
> # Auto-Enabled NICs from pc-sysinstall
> wlans_ral0="wlan0"

This would mean that you have ral as the driver.

> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"

Let us compare:

ifconfig_wlan0="inet 192.168.1.28 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid WhaterYoursIs WPA"

I think you missed the entry ssid WhaterYoursIs

Are you sure that SYNCDHCP is right?

> ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
> # Auto-Enabled NICs from pc-sysinstall
> ifconfig_re0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
> hostname="pcbsd-8753"
> mysql_enable="YES"
> mythbackend_enable="YES"
> vmware_guest_vmblock_enable="YES"
> vmware_guest_vmhgfs_enable="YES"
> vmware_guest_vmmemctl_enable="YES"
> vmware_guest_vmxnet_enable="YES"
> vmware_guestd_enable="YES"
> vboxguest_enable="YES"
> vboxservice_enable="YES"

Do you run this in a virtual machine?

> If I read the output of that wpa_supplicant command properly, it seems
> to see a wpa_ie_len of 0 from my router (the length of the wpa
> password??) but sees a nearby router in the building with an ssid of
> "linksys" which has a password of 22 bytes !.

Some things confuse me a bit. This is why I went back to the basics first.

> Anyway if you spot anything, please let me know. I know the card is
> working and scanning OK, how hard can it be to just activate it to
> start talking to the router and give me internet access ???  We've got
> to come up with better instructions on doing this.    I'm typing
> commands by copying stuff in google but it would take me days or weeks
> to study them and figure out what they exactly mean!

At least for the run driver, it was really as easy as I said. I also failed with a ral device. But the ral device did not work much better under Windows. So, I did not bother any further.

Erich