Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:21:24 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_le unit number change?

--------------enig83EDD7421F54F5E76EEC5A0F

Jia-Shiun Li wrote:
> I use vmware to run freebsd.
>=20
> recent update of 8-current changed the unit number of the virtual
> network interface, an emulated if_le. usually the unit number should
> start from 0 ,namely le0. But after updating the source, le0 becomes
> le1. This makes interface name mismatching that in rc.conf. I checked
> the commit log but there seems nothing related in sys/dev/le. So
> should this be caused by something else?

I have the same thing, but I thought it was just my bad luck sice I'm
working on the kernel. If it's the same thing you should notice in your
dmesg that both "le0" and "le1" are actually "detected" (I presume
wrongly, or at least that one of them is wrong) but ifconfig recognizes
only "le1" and errors out at any operation with le0.