Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 01:26:58 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        jarvis@guru.wow.aust.com
Cc:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what's in a name?

> (I guess I'm just very cautious about writing anything for 'FreeBSD'
> rather than just for me. So, I'll happily stand up and write about my
> personal experiences and opinions and stuff in a public forum, but I'd be
> much more cautious about writing, in some sense, on behalf of a larger
> group...)

You really shouldn't feel this way.  From the perspective of advocacy,
each and every one of you are more than free (encouraged, cajoled,
wheedled, begged) to speak on its behalf.  You should naturally try
and get your facts as straight as possible and not attempt to speak
"for" FreeBSD in the sense that you're making commitments or
predicting future policy, but aside from that the field is open.  Grab
a ball and run with it!

We've also tried "suggesting projects" in the past ("write about ipfw!
write about natd! write about creating a monster porn server!") but
this doesn't tend to work in actual practice since people are much
more inclined to actually finish an article on something they're
personally comfortable with.  A randomly selected topic is not likely
to find a good match.

Why not instead write an article based more directly on your own
experiences with FreeBSD?  If you've not done anything "interesting
enough", in your own estimation, then pick a project that interests
you and make learning it and writing an article about the process a
parallel set of goals.  Ever wanted to learn Apache/php3?  How about a
comprehensive review of server-side scripting languages (on FreeBSD)
and where you might use them?  There are topics literally lying on the
ground at your feet - what is your INTEREST, that is the important
question here! :-)

- Jordan