Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 22:23:10 -0800
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Compiling a Custom X Server

From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To: Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc: freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Saturday, December 18, 1999 6:29 PM

|[Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
|
|On Saturday, 18 December 1999 at 18:46:58 -0800, Duke Normandin
wrote:
Custom
QVision

|>> If you don't program in C, the best advice would be "forget it".
|>> This sort of work is particularly complicated.  It's not for
|>> cutting your teeth.
|>>
|>> You could enquire from the XFree86 people if they have any plans.
|>> But if this is an old card, it's probably not worth the weeks of
|>> work that it would take.
|>
|> A whole week to simply include it into the SVGA source?
|
|I said 'weeks', not 'week'.  I'm assuming that the driver isn't an
|XFree86 driver, otherwise it would already be in the tree.

You assume wrongly!! It is an XF86 driver built by Hans Oey down your
way somewhere for his own use and contributed to the public domain.
Just because the XF86 Project never felt the need to support it is
irrelevant. Now, that we have *that* straight, are you still adamant
that including this driver into the SVGA server would take weeks?

-duke