Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2014 11:21:36 -0800
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, ambrisko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mfi(4) support for MegaRAID Fury cards

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 11:08:32AM -0800, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
| On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 05:04:55PM -0500, Mark Johnston wrote:
| | Hello,
| |
| | The patch here adds mfi(4) support for my LSI 9341-4i controller, which
| | has device ID 0x5f:
| |
| | http://people.freebsd.org/~markj/patches/mfi_fury.diff
| |
| | This diff was mostly obtained by going through the mrsas(4) code
| | specific to Invader (DID 0x5d) and Fury (DID 0x5f) controllers. The main
| | change is to add an end-of-list marker to scatter-gather DMA lists
| | before handing them to the firmware. Without this, large writes to an
| | mfi(4) volume result in a firmware crash loop, and the system needs to
| | be reset. The diff adds code for both Invader and Fury cards, as this is
| | what's done in mrsas(4); I haven't tested with an Invader card though,
| | as I don't have access to one. With this patch, I'm able to boot FreeBSD
| | 8.2 off of a RAID 1 volume on my 9341-4i.
| |
| | Would anyone be able to review or test this patch? I'm particularly
| | interested if anyone could try it out with an Invader or Fury card
| | (there shouldn't be any differences in driver behaviour with other
| | cards).
|
| The patch looks good.  I can test it out on a Invader card that I have.
| I don't have a Fury card.  I was holding off waiting to see how we
| should resolve the mrsas(4) driver from LSI conflict.  We have been
| looking at what needs to be done to get mrsas(4) into FreeBSD.  I
| posted a change to FreeBSD SCSI list to add a tunable to reduce
| the probe priority of mfi(4) for ThunderBolt and later cards.  This
| way they can both be in the GENERIC kernel etc. and not have an
| issue.  We'll need to do some minor updates to your patch to work
| with that since I added another flag in the ident area.

After fixing the merge conflict with my recent change it works with my
Invader card.  I don't see any issues with the patch.

Do you want to redo the patch and then commit it or just commit once
you've made the change.  Please make sure you do it with -current.
After this we should plan to MFC these changes all the way back to
8-stable.

Thanks,

Doug A.