Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 19:59:39 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley231.res.iastate.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: URGENT: NIC/MB advice needed for cluster...

>1. How well does the Etherexpress PRO/100 work currently?  Does this card
>   work well in full duplex mode, and would I be able to have 4 of them per
>   box without any trouble?

   The Pro/100B works fine. Intel recently changed the PHY chip from a
National 83840 to an Intel 82555, and I haven't yet added support for that
chip yet. The card should still work fine in half duplex mode, but it might
not work correctly in full duplex mode. I've not been able to test this
because 1) I don't have one of the newer cards, and 2) My D-Link switch
is broken and being repaired. Adding support for the 82555 is a priority
with me and should hopefully occur within the next 3 weeks.

>2. We are thinking of buying ASUS P65UP5, or Intel PR440FX boards.  I know
>   ASUS makes great boards, but we could save a lot of money with the Intel.
>   Does anyone know if the onboard ethernet works?  We would save on Enet
>   cards, and memory (ECC DIMM's seem much cheaper..), but is it wise?

   It works...it's an Intel 82557 NIC and works with the fxp driver.

>3. When will the new de driver come to FreeBSD?  This would help with our
>   currently installed base.

   Soon, but I can't give any dates. Some of the preliminary support for the
new driver has already been brought into FreeBSD, but the driver itself hasn't
been brought in.

-DG

David Greenman