Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 11:46:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      Michael Grant <mg-fbsd@grant.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   upgrade by reinstall

I want to upgrade to releng_4 (4.x latest) from 3.5.  I've been
following this list for a while now and it just looks like it might be
easier to reinstall than to jump through all the hoops of doing
multiple upgrades.

I have a second drive on my machine.  What I want to do is load 4.x on
that drive and then boot it.

The machine is remote, I have access to the serial console but not the
box physically, hence I can't put boot floppies in it.

But I can run the 3.5 version of sysinstall.  Can I use this version
of sysinstall to load 4.x on my second drive?  If so, what do I put in
for the release name in the options editor?  CUrrently it says
"3.5-STABLE".

If this isn't the way I should be doing this, what is?