Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2024 13:11:18 -0400
From:      Chris Ross <cross+freebsd@distal.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Chris Ross <cross+freebsd@distal.com>
Subject:   DHCPv6 IA_PD - how-to

tl;dr; anyone have a good IPv6 network setup based on an IA_PD from
their provider?  Any details or advice to share?

The current router is x86_64 FreeBSD 11.x, but I=E2=80=99m building the =
FreeBSD
14.1 system to replace it now.  What to install on it for this is a =
pending
question.

Hello all.  I have been running a FreeBSD router for years and years.  I =
have
this year been trying to figure out how to use an IPv6 allocation from =
my
provider (Verizon FiOS).  They are using the PD feature of DHCPv6 to =
give
a delegation, and not given an address (NA) when asked.

There are, unfortunately, _many_ programs that can help me with this,
and google yielded no clear best-path.  I have not been able to get
ISC dhclient to work for me so far, and I did get dhcpcd working, but
only with command-line options rather than config file, and that
application doesn=E2=80=99t have the smarts to configure things based on=20=

the PD, so I=E2=80=99d have to code all of that myself.

Thank you.

                    - Chris