Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 2006 12:47:14 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>, current@freebsd.org, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD handles leapsecond correctly

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> writes:

> "We don't know what will break if we drop leap-seconds"
>
> 	We know very well what can break:  Only systems which relate
> 	the position of extra-terrestial objects to UTC time can break.
>
> 	These devices are called antennas and telescopes and they are
> 	operated by scientists and technicians who should be more than
> 	able to figure out how to deal with this.

The same argument can come back in your face, computer scientists and
engineers should be able to figure out how to deal with time tracking
earth rotation, you're tracking all sorts of things...  And then you're
back where you started, trying to argue with costs, the other side
doesn't know, and so on.

Who is assigning the weights to the opposing opinions?

--
Matthias Andree