Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 1996 16:13:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        bsdscsi@shadows.aeon.net (mika ruohotie)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: striping/mirroring?

> strip with few drives, so that i can get speed, and then mirror it all
> to one "safe" disk, so that i wont lost all of my data if the striping
> crashes...

Having used ccd extensively for the past year, on production news server
systems, I think I can safely state that you need not concern yourself
too much with "striping crashes"...  you are more likely to run into a
dead disk than a problem with ccd.  I have over two dozen heavily utilized
ccd partitions in operation and have not seen any problems with ccd.

If you are looking purely for reliability, look for a RAID solution.
RAID's are more reliable than a SLED (Single Large Expensive Disk).

If you are looking for speed, either RAID or striping may be appropriate.
Since I am generally interested primarily in speed, I use ccd and its
striping capabilities.

... JG