Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 04:12:01 -0700
From:      "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB port periodically dies

I've been having a reliable USB issue on my 5-current box (3 Mar, 23:58:25
MST).  It's been happening since I upgraded to -current in the DP2 days, and
has happened on two completely independent motherboards.  On the more recent
of the two (the previous died) I've enabled USB_DEBUG.  Here's the deal.

The port periodically dies.  Once it dies, a reboot clears it up every time,
but nothing short of that will.  Once one port has died, any device plugged
into another port causes it to quit working as well.  (I generally have only
my mouse plugged in.)

During normal use with hw.usb.ums.debug, hw.usb.uhub.debug, and hw.usb.debug
set to 1, I get a lot of lines like:
ums_intr: status=13

When the port finally dies, it does so with no fanfare; the mouse simply stops
responding.

If I unplug the mouse, I get:
uhub_explore: C_PORT_ENABLED
uhub_explore: device addr=2 disappeared on port 2
ums0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected