Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:37:52 +0100
From:      Joel Dahl <joel@vnode.se>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, mav@freebsd.org, vermaden <vermaden@interia.pl>
Subject:   Re: kern/148741: [sound] Headphones are deaf (do not work) on Lenovo ThinkPad X300

On 26-11-2012 22:23, Yuri wrote:
> On 11/26/2012 21:59, vermaden wrote:mav@FreeBSD.org:
> >> Synopsis: [sound] Headphones are deaf (do not work) on Lenovo ThinkPad X300
> >>
> >> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> >> State-Changed-By: mav
> >> State-Changed-When: Mon Nov 26 15:09:31 UTC 2012
> >> State-Changed-Why:
> >> Proposed hints looks like overkill, but as far as it works, that is OK.
> >>
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=148741
> > Closing this PR is OK under one of these conditions:
> >
> >   - LINK to that X300 specifical configuration/hack PR should be within FreeBSD Handbook.
> >   - Information for X300 specific configuration should be directly in the FreeBSD Handbook.
>
> Or there should be the quirks-like mechanism in hda driver incorporating
> these hints on the device by device level.

We had this in the hda driver before mav rewrote it. The rewrite was a
definite improvement in most cases and it almost always works without user
intervention now, but I still think we need some kind of quirks functionality.
I don't buy the "hardware is obsolete in 6 months" argument. I have several
3+ years old laptops at home. All working great. Asking users to play around
with device.hints just to get sound working (it's 2012 after all, not 1992...)
isn't all that user-friendly. If someone manages to figure out the
correct configuration for a specific laptop, we should make sure we pick it up
and include it in the driver. This will save the next user with the same
hardware at least a few gray hairs...

--
Joel