Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 1995 11:25:41 -0500
From:      starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu (Gene Stark)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Decrease in namei cache effectiveness?

This morning I tried compiling up an up-to-date kernel, booting it, and then
starting a make world.  I stopped it after I noticed that the disk was getting
an incredible pounding during C compilations that previously would be
almost totally CPU-bound.  My impression from "systat -vmstat" was that
somehow the effectiveness of the namei cache had gotten drastically reduced,
and the lookups of the names of include files were causing a lot of disk
activity.

Has anyone else seen this?

							- Gene