Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2011 03:58:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      franck <freebsd@ouarz.net>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   using tables = ipfw: ipfw_install_state: Too many dynamic rules

Hi,

On a new FreeBSD 8.2 server, ipfw complains of too many dynamic rules as
traffic increases.
e.g.  "ipfw: ipfw_install_state: Too many dynamic rules")

Is the following set of rules too complex? What would be the best/generic
approach to setup ipfw for a standard web server? Any recommendations?

00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
00300 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
00400 deny tcp from any to any frag
00500 allow ip from table(1) to any keep-state
00600 check-state
00700 allow tcp from any to any established
00800 allow ip from any to any out keep-state
00900 allow icmp from any to any
01000 allow udp from me to any dst-port 53 keep-state
01100 allow udp from me to any dst-port 123 keep-state
01200 allow tcp from any to any dst-port 747 setup keep-state
01300 deny ip from table(2) to any
20000 allow tcp from any to any dst-port 80,443 setup keep-state
20100 deny log logamount 1000 ip from any to any
65535 deny ip from any to any

Note that:
- table 1: holds whitelist of IPs
- table 2: holds blacklist of IPs