Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 12:21:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        William Robertson <robr@wired.com>, Joe Kelly <joe@gaia.gol.com>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Laptop Question.

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Nate Williams wrote:

> William Robertson writes:
> >
> >     I've heard good things about the Hi-Note, but I don't think I'll get to
> >     install FreeBSD on my boss's 560.  However, if it runs the 560 would be
> >     a *really* nice box.  It's pretty sweet.
> >
> > it installs and runs on the 560.  xfree86 3.2 runs with a bit o
> > tweeking, but only does 8-bit colour (please contact me if you can do
> > better :-).
>
> Can the 560 do 800x600?  Also, I don't know of any X servers that can
> go better than 8-bit with the LCD screens, even though under Windows 3.1
> I can do 16-bit color on my older 755CX.

Bryan Tarr is running 16bit at 800x600 w/ XFree86...  it required the a
beta of XFree86 (this was before 3.2 was released)... but it runs quite
nicely....  it's more of a problem with the display chip not being
supported by the server...  so make sure you research it...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)