Date:      Wed, 08 May 1996 15:27:01 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        eischen@vigrid.com (Daniel Eischen)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Copyright question

> I'll try to see if I can get rid of clause 4, but I don't think
> they're going to let it go without some sort of clause.  Is there
> anything we can do?  Add a comment in LINT saying it's restricted
> by copyright?  Or point to a file from within LINT that will list
> the restricted driver(s)?  As long as the user sees the copyright
> restriction before he rebuilds the kernel with the driver, right?

Well, yes, that would sort of do it - you could have a one-liner in
LINT saying "Only for use with Condor boards, please see
/sys/i386/isa/condor.c for licensing restrictions" or something.

But I'd also like to suggest that we perhaps attack this problem from
a different angle.

What is Condor trying to achieve here?  Protection of sales, right?
More to the point, they'd like to sell this board to FreeBSD users as
a consequence of having this driver in FreeBSD by default, assuming
that they might be less willing to do so otherwise.  The "protection
of sales" issue is also actually a secondary one since, up to this
point, there _are_ no sales to protect.  So far, so good.

NOW..  What influences a user's decision to buy one board over
another?  Several things: One is naturally the cost, though in certain
markets (and I suspect this is one of them) this is less important
than reliability.  Another is word-of-mouth - what are people
suggesting they buy?  This works pretty well, or vendors wouldn't be
climbing all over one another just to get Jerry Pournelle to mention
them in BYTE.

It's my suggestion that we try and convince Condor that they've no
existing market to protect here, nor will the eventual market size
likely be anything to lose sleep over, and they don't need to protect
their revenue in this fashion.  What we can give them as incentive to
play by these more relaxed rules is some free PR and a commercial
entry on our web pages (along with a mention in my announcement text
for the next SNAP and the eventual 2.2 release, etc and so forth).
I'd mention them anyway, naturally, but a willingness to play ball on
their part will be incentive for me to mention them in a lot more
places. :-) In other words, what they potentially lose in "protection"
we'll try and make up for with some good word-of-mouth advertising
since they've proven themselves to be such good guys (and gals).

It's my feeling that people will then buy what they've seen mentioned,
and if it doesn't say "supports condor and condor clones" on the web
pages, then they're going to buy a condor rather than end up with some
useless clone piece of junk that doesn't even work.

On the flip side, those people who *do* decide to buy clones anyway
(perhaps due to their own testing) won't be deferred by clause 4 as
it's almost entirely unenforceable anyway.  We're not Microsoft. :-)

						Jordan