Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 11:10:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: Documentation..

John Fieber writes:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Peter Marelas wrote:
>
> > 	Due to all the argueing about the lack of documentation, why dont
> > we all stop bitching, and do ourselves a favour by writing docs, on
> > what we have experience in, when using freebsd, lets get the handbook
> > growing.
>
> YES! The new handbook section:
>
> X. Compatibility with other systems
>
> X.1 BSDI
>
>   (no-brainer, except I gather 2.0 binaries don't work?)

I haven't had any problems with 2.0 binaries--what problems are there?
The only problems I have seen were the different behaviour of fcntl
locking as the result of the change of struct flock.  The binary I had
(elm) was compiled on BSD/386 1.1, and it didn't run on BSD/OS 2.0
either.

> X.2 SCO
>
> X.3 Linux
>
> > Where do we put docs in for review by others?
>
> Send stuff in to doc@freebsd.org.  In  a couple weeks I'll be diving
> headfirst into a handbook upgrade so if there are some new compat docs in
> my mailbox, they will find their way in.
>

> > PS: Im writing one on PPP Servers, using pppd, as I feel the current docs
> >     in the handbook are inadequate.
>
> Super!  I think the most common failing found in the handbook (including
> the ppp docs) are explicit step-by-step instructions *without* sufficient
> commentary text.  Step-by-step procedures are exteremely fragile and fall
> apart in the face of varaiation among installations.  With the rapid
> development of freebsd, variation is *guaranteed*.  The process should be
> explained by the text, and illustrated by some examples, not the reverse!

Agreed.  I've been meaning to do something here too, but so far I only
have some preliminary stuff for installing the system and
reconfiguring the kernel.  If anybody's interested, they're welcome to
review it, but I'm afraid (sorry, guys) it's all in troff, because I
couldn't figure out how to do my tricks in SGML.

Greg