Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 08:39:16 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        adam@veda.is (Adam David)
Subject:   Re: fixing bad SCSI sectors?

As Adam David wrote:

> How do I start fixing this disk?

By formatting it...

> So, how do I repair the disk without completely reformatting it?

Oh...  Well, try to turn on AWRE/ARRE (mode page 1), and force a write
to those blocks.  The block numbers are mentioned in the `info' field.
Note that they are absolute for the disk, i.e. use them as an lseek
offset for /dev/rsd1.  Alas, dd(1) doesn't lseek on raw devices when
using "seek=".  Hmm, our dd man page suggests it were seeking on
anything but tape devices...  Try it before using.

--
cheers, J"org