Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 16:00:26 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        pusateri@juniper.net (Tom Pusateri), freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NogaTech PCMCIA video cards

> > Has anyone taken a look at these PCMCIA video cards?
> > I'm looking for a way to run VIC on a laptop and source multicast video.
>
> not the same thing but have you considered a parallel port camera
> (e.g. quickcam) instead ? For as bad as it can be, I am not really
> sure that the PCMCIA bus has the necessary bandwidth to support
> uncompressed video, so you either end up with low res/frame rate,
> or with an already compressed stream and your chances to be able
> to decode it severely decrease.

FWIW, a PCMCIA camera has *TONS* more bandwidth and *TONS* less
interrupt load than the ISA bus (which is what the PCMCIA bus
essentially is).

We used a parallel port camera for awhile, but the performance and load
on the system became so bad that we were forced to switch to a PCMCIA
camera, which works much nicer.  (Note, this is under Win95, but the
hardware issues are the same as in FreeBSD.)

The PCMCIA bus has all the bandwidth you need, and the new CardBus stuff
(not supported in FreeBSD) has even more, being 'pluggable' PCI as
compared to ISA.

Nate