Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:26:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        wjw@IAE.nl
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble on my DPT controller

Willem Jan  Withagen wrote...
> Hi,
>
> I've got a DPT controller 3334 which "suddenly" claims:
>
> Jul  6 02:41:30 hobby /kernel: (da0:dpt0:0:1:0): CCB 0xc3bc764c - timed out
> Jul  6 02:41:31 hobby /kernel: (da0:dpt0:0:1:0): CCB 0xc3bc76c8 - timed out
> It has repeated itself during make worlds....
>
> I'm running a relatively recently -stable (2 weeks old)
>
> Is this a hardware problem or a software problem?

I suspect it's a hardware problem.  The above message is from the DPT
driver's timeout handler, and it is complaining about a particular disk or
array you've got setup.

The timeout for read and write operations from the DA driver is 60 seconds.
So that means that da0 didn't complete a read or write in 60 seconds.

What sort of disk is da0?  There are some disks that are known to lock up
under heavy I/O.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry