Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:14:04 +0100
From:      Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
To:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>, ray@redshift.com, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need urgent help regarding security

Hi Jeremie,

Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi, Marian,
>

> Security is not absolute, as you surely know considering the fact you
> seem to be quite sensitive to it.  I guess that most of running sshd(8)
> are bound to port tcp/22.  If a group of hackers find a hole in
> OpenSSH's sshd(8) implementation in a very early stage of the
> connection (IOW before authentication) but do not disclose it - and
> only God knows how many undisclosed holes there are - then one can
> figure they want to avail themselves of this hole by working in
> collaboration with spammers or whatever.  The best way they can work
> for this purpose is creating a massive exploitation tool in order to
> install as much spam agents as they can, before the hole is disclosed.
> Not having your sshd(8) bound to port 22 would save you from being
> exploited in this case.

you're right with that assumption. And yes, given the above scenario,
letting the sshd run on a different port would help. However, your
scenario counts to any daemon listening on any port. What would you like
to do? Moving httpd, smtpd and whoever to another port? :)
I'd rather say, use any tools available within FreeBSD to make your box
as secure as you need it to be. I'm thinking of fine things like
kern.securelevel for instance :)

> Of course, if this particular group of hackers wants to defeat _your_
> network, this measure won't prevent them from exploiting your sshd(8).

right.

> There is no need to involve kiddies, given that the tools they are
> using would surely appear far after the correction of the hole in the
> next OpenSSH release and all serious network administrators would have
> upgraded their boxes.

Being confident that the OpenSSH guys are good developers too, I'm not
that much afraid of the hackers you mentioned above (and of course no
script-kiddies either) :-)

> Please, don't turn this thread into a troll.

It's definetly not my intenion to troll. If somebody thinks that I do,
I'm  sorry in advance. I just have the strong feeling that moving a
daemon to another port (where it doesn't belong) won't gain any security.

best regards,
Marian