Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:12:14 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
To:        FreeBSD-PORTS <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   How to tell when BUILD vs. RUN_DEPENDS is appropriate/more appropriate

As I'm going through the list of broken "orphaned" ports on bento, I'm
noticing that a number of ports (e.g. dhcpconf and flowscan) have mtree
problems that appear to be related to PERL5 or PYTHON usage by a dependent
port build.  However, the "parent" port does not seem to get credit for
then underlying dependency on perl, python etc.

Now, LIB_DEPENDS is (usually) pretty easy--if a port needs a library that's
not already on the system, one is really going to know it when the linker
fails.  But differentiating between a BUILD_DEPENDS and a RUN_DEPENDS seems
to be a much grayer area.  How to resolve this such that not only does a
port build correctly, but bento doesn't also complain about what appears to
be the entire tree for python or perl not being in the pkg-plist.

jmc