Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:21:52 +0200
From:      Robert =?unknown-8bit?Q?Blacqui=E8re?= <freebsd@guldan.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        Erik Paulsen Sk?lerud <erik@pentadon.com>
Subject:   Re: (Retry) Bridging a wi-device with a LAN-adapter

Hi,

bridging does work, i have had it working with an sitecom wireless
adaptor a Prism2 chipset card and a standard ethernet ne2000 ed0
interface. I worked i could get dhcp responses and network traffic over
the bridge. Just by following the man page of the wi driver.

Robert

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 02:33:13PM +0200, Erik Paulsen Sk?lerud wrote:
> Hello. I'm a little confused here.
> I want to bridge my wireless card (Orinoco/Lucent Silver 11mbit) with my
> LAN-adapter (fxp0).
>
> When I read the wi(4), allmost at the end of the configuration examples it
> says:
>
>      Create a host-based wireless bridge to fxp0 (Prism only):
>            Add BRIDGE to the kernel config.
>            # ifconfig wi0 inet up ssid my_ap mediaopt hostap
>            # sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1
>            # sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="wi0 fxp0"
>            # sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
>      This will give you approximately the same functionality as an access
>      point.
>
> And, when I read the bridge(4) manual page, it says:
>
>      Bridging requires interfaces to be put in promiscuous mode, and
> transmit
>      packets with Ethernet source addresses.  Some interfaces (e.g.  wi(4))
> do
>      not support this functionality.  Also, bridging is not compatible with
>      interfaces which use hardware loopback, because there is no way to tell
>      locally generated packets from externally generated ones.
>
> So. Where do I stand? Can it do bridging in FreeBSD or not? I tried to make
> it work, both in FreeBSD and Windows XP (yes, I know.) without any results.
>
> While searching on mailinglists, I see several people saying that you need a
> binary firmware wich costs money so that the cards can work with bridging..
> the reason would be that the manufactors of these chipsets wants to make
> money on selling licenses to companies who want an AP.
>
> I've also heard a rumour that ng_bridge(4)/netgraph can do bridging with
> wi(4)-devices. Is this true?
>
> Thanks for all help, Erik.

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
OpenBSD: He guys you left some holes out there!