Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:45:33 +1000
From:      David Hobley <davidh@progmatics.com.au>
To:        Jonathan Belson <jon@dookie.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1-RELEASE Crash/FS Corruption on my Libretto

Jonathan Belson wrote:

> On 09-Apr-99 David Hobley wrote:
>
> > I was logged in to the console as root and executed zzz. This
> > successfully suspended my machine.
> > I then resumed my machine which appeared to work well. I logged out
> > and when I entered my username to log in the machine crashed and
> > completely trashed my /usr partition. To the extent I will have to
> > reinstall from scratch.
>
> You mentioned that you suspended....you did leave space at the end
> of your hard disk for the suspend operation to dump on, didn't you?

Ah, this could be it. When I was reading the Unix on Libretto pages
scattered around the place they indicated that the BIOS would hide that
part of the disc that it used to suspend onto. Is this not the case?

I just ran the installer and selected (A) for auto layout. Interestingly,
if I resized my swap partition up by 32Meg and my /usr down by 32 Meg the
installer kept claiming that the selected size was too big.

Hmm - how much should I leave at the end of the disc? The same amount as
the memory in the machine? Is it possible to resize the partitions after
I have installed FreeBSD?
--
Cheers,
david                                 davidh@progmatics.com.au

Progmatics Pty Ltd - Architects of IT and Internet Solutions

Level 8, 191 Clarence Street              Phone +61 2 9262 4933
Sydney NSW Australia                      Fax   +61 2 9262 4045
http://www.progmatics.com.au/