Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:07:20 -0700
From:      John Plevyak <jplevyak@inktomi.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft performance (was: ...)

On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 10:00:41AM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
> I know about the SMP issues.  But in many applications going to SMP is
> actually a reliability AND throughput lose (web servers is one example).
> You're better off with 4 machines than 1 big 4-way machine.

The problem is that a loaded 2-way machine is only slightly more expensive
than a 1-way, and current trends indicate that 4-ways will be increasingly
common.  It isn't a question of 1 big 4-way vs 4 1-ways, but of
what you can get of out $Xk worth of hardware.  The current sweet
spot is often some number of 2-ways, and if for your app the OS doesn't
scale it can make that OS less economical by comparison.

john

--
John Bradley Plevyak,    PhD,    jplevyak@inktomi.com,     PGP KeyID: 051130BD
Inktomi Corporation,  1900 S. Norfolk Street,  Suite 310,  San Mateo, CA 94403