Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:34:17 -0400
From:      "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc@gmail.com>
To:        "John Baldwin" <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipw(4) and iwi(4): Intel's Pro Wireless firmware licensing problems

On 05/10/06, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 October 2006 22:46, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My acquaintance with Unix started with FreeBSD, which I used for quite
> > a while before discovering OpenBSD. I now mostly use OpenBSD, and I
> > was wondering of how many FreeBSD users are aware about the licensing
> > restrictions of Intel Pro Wireless family of wireless adapters?
> >
> > Why are none of the manual pages of FreeBSD say anything about why
> > Intel Wireless devices do not work by default?
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ipw
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=iwi
> >
> > If you are curious as to why things are the way they are, I suggest
> > that you check the problems that are described in the misc@openbsd.org
> > mailing list, and contact Intel people and say what you think about
> > their user-unfriendly policy in regards to Intel Pro Wireless
> > firmwares, which are REQUIRED to be loaded from the OS before the
> > device functions, i.e. the OS developers must be allowed to freely
> > distribute the firmware in order for the devices to work
> > out-of-the-box.
> >
> > For some recent information about Intel being an Open Source Fraud,
> > see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=115960734026283&w=2.
>
> Probably because all you have to do is install a port and it works. :)

Oh yeah, so I can install a port to the installation media, so that I
could setup wireless right away and install all ports that are not
present on the install CD off an ftp or http mirror? :)

> In FreeBSD installing a port isn't too difficult for users to do.  However,

So is in OpenBSD, in fact, they've recently made it even easier with a
"-u" option, where "pkg_add -u" automatically updates all packages to
the newest versions, works out of the box, only PKG_PATH needs to be
set.

> you might want to ask Theo why he complains about Intel not giving him a
> license for one binary blob (Intel wireless firmware) but complains about
> Atheros providing a binary blob that he can distribute.  Seems a bit of a
> contradiction to me.  However, you probably won't make any headway with
> that argument because the other side won't be using reason and logic.

Are you being serious? The distinction is rather clear -- Intel's
firmware is processor and operating system independent and runs on the
wireless microprocessor, whereas Atheros' HAL module is
processor-dependent, and runs on the main CPU in kernel mode with
unlimited priviledges (correct me if I'm wrong). Clear distinction
here, IMHO.

> I think in practice that the distinction between a HAL and firmware is
> blurry at best.  Both are pre-built software to drive hardware and provide
> a simplified interface to software (i.e. OS) for managing the hardware.
> The only difference is which portion of RAM that it lives (some RAM chip
> on the device or in the RAM of the host computer) and that distinction
> really isn't all that noteworthy.  If it's some argument about HAL's
> encroaching on space needed by the OS, note that firmware has to be in
> host RAM as well so it can be uploaded.  In fact, for iwi(4) and ipw(4)
> the drivers keep it around all the time to handle suspend/resume.  The
> implementation detail of HAL vs firmware is really just a reflection of
> design choices made by the hardware vendor in where to draw the line
> between actual hardware vs software to provide their public interface to
> system software.

I think there is a huge difference here in what area of the RAM of the
host computer these binary blobs live: in the case of firmware, they
live in a non-executable read-only part of RAM, whereas with a binary
HAL module the situation is just the opposite. And this IS the
difference that should concern security-paranoid people.

Cheers,
Constantine.