Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:21:40 -0400
From:      "John W. O'Brien" <john@saltant.com>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scope and purpose of each kind geli key

On 06/10/2012 04:13 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> I think this is great you decided to document it and I'll do my
> best to help. I'd also like to see such description to be available
> easly and I'd be happy to add it to GELI manual page or create
> dedicated manual page with detailed documentation how it works.

Thank you! I'm excited to finally give a little something back to FreeBSD.

My preference is to start by preparing changes to the existing geli(8)
manpage and section 19.16.2 of the Handbook. These will be
light-weight changes focused on clarifying at a conceptual level which
keys exist, where, and how a user can interact with them.

I like the idea of adding a dedicated manpage with much more detailed
documentation, but I will defer that for now and hopefully return to
it later.

Eventually, I would love to make supporting diagrams. All in good time.

>> Master Key - ----------
>>
>> There is exactly one Master Key per provider, and it never
>> changes for the life of the provider. It is generated in userland
>> upon init (or onetime) and the user can select the key length
>> (-l).
>
> The Master Key is always 1024 bits long (128 bytes).

Ah, of course. Since no part of the Master Key is used as direct input
to the selected block cipher, its length is independent of the key
length specified by -l.

> [...] The second part of the Master Key (next 64 bytes) is used
> directly or indirectly (depending on the configuration) for data
> encryption and optionally for data authentication. It is called
> Data Key.

s/Storage Key/Data Key/g

Got it.

> [...] It would probably be worth noting that passphrase (either
> entered by hand or provided with -j/-J options) is strengthened
> with PKCS#2 PBKDF2 function based on SHA512 algorithm.

ACK.

Is the order significant in which multiple User Key components are
given on the command line?

> [..] This is very welcome. And more details are even more
> welcome:)

I appreciate your help. It may take me a while to get up to speed on
the necessary markup languages, and to find my way around the
documentation development workflow. I don't have a ton of time to
devote, but I want to do a good job.

Regards,
John