Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:40:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon), des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav), mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: List of things to move from main tree to ports (was Re:

> One could say the same about the "r" commands, telnet, and ftp.  For
> telnet and ftp:  Extremely controversial.  For the "r" commands, I'd
> rate the issue as half way between controversial and extremely
> controversial.  What do you think?
>

> Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
> Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
> Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
> Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
> Province of BC

Time for some philosophy?

Sun is in a very different mind space.  For one thing, it is very
easy to compartmentalize daemon replacement, due to it's rc system
being composed of component files, instead of being monolithic, as
long as you ignore the inetd.conf issues.  This also makes it boot
slower, but you could always cache "compilations" of scripts to
deal with that transparently except for the first boot following
a reconfiguration, which would go away if there were a pre-recompile.

Security is always a tradeoff between usability and safety.

I think, philosophically, that FreeBSD has to be as easy as
possible to get to what is generally accepted as "functional",
and I'd even go so far as to say that "minimally functional"
doesn't cut it.

The barrier to entry for a free OS is always going to be how
easy it is to install and deinstall without risking anything
else on the machine.  I think we're all confident that once
people try it, if they are trying it for the things for which
effort has been expended (i.e. desktop isn't there yet), then
they'll come back.

I think a number of these suggestions (not just yours) are the
kind which increase the barrier to entry, and the FreeBSD market
is not really mature enough to tolerate a lot of that at this
stage (or FreeBSD would be taking the OpenBSD "it comes locked
by default" approach).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---